Department of Public Works
The Public Works Department’s provides and maintains public services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Manchester-by-the-Sea.
The Department is comprised of the following divisions:
**ALERT** There are several scams (especially online) where companies claim their plastic bags are compostable. Bags must say "ASTM 6400 certified" to be sure they are compostable. And remember, biodegradable is not compostable. An alternative is to use double-bagged paper grocery bags.
Compost site hours have been updated to Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Please note that whether the chain is up or down, residents may access the site only when the OPEN sign is displayed.
- Where can I find this year's collection schedule?
- Where can I get an update on the various DPW projects happening around town?
- What if my trash, recyclables or large item with green sticker was not collected?
- What if my food waste was not collected?
- When is the compost site open?
- When is the transfer station open?
- How do I dispose of a large item like a mattress, boxspring, chair, etc.?
- How do I dispose of televisions, laptops and computer monitors?
- How do I dispose of freezers, refrigerators and air-conditioners?
- What can I do with rechargeable and button batteries and fluorescent bulbs?
- How do I dispose of construction waste?
- What do I do with tires and auto/boat batteries?
- When is the next hazardous waste disposal day in Manchester?
- How do I get information about cemeteries, including pricing?
- How do I sign up for text and/or email alerts on my phone and/or computer?
- I have water and/or sewer questions...
- I have a question about a Town-owned tree...