Department of Public Works
NOTICE - Rt 127 / Summer Street State resurface work: Summer Street State Road Works June 2018
**UPDATE** Mark Street Area Water Service Repairs: starting Wednesday June 19, 2018. Temporary water shut down from 9am-1pm. Only those affected will receive hand-delivered notices to their homes. Police detail will be on-site. If you experience discolored water afterwards, please run a cold faucet or spigot until water runs clear.
The ROUNDABOUT trial has been completed but if you have comments please contact the Board of Selectmen's office directly by emailing Sonja at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Projects will be starting around Town in the late Spring/Summer of 2018, for more information: Click here for list of current DPW Projects
Due to the China-crisis recycling issues, The Town of Manchester is not currently able to separate out and send rigid plastics for recycle. These items; 5 gallon pails, children's outdoor toys, plastic totes, garden chairs etc must now be disposed of either curbside in an orange trash bag or if too large, with a $10 large item sticker and placed curbside alongside your trash on your regular collection day. Please remember only one large item per household per week and all trash, recycle and large items must be curbside by 7 am on your collection day.
COMPOST SITE: The Compost Site will open for the 2018 season on March 24, 2018. Opening hours will be: Thursday, Saturday, Sunday 9-3 pm.
March 15, 2018 - The price to dispose of large (wood/fabric household) items curbside such as mattresses, chairs, side tables etc will increase. The green stickers purchased from the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall will be $10 per sticker. Please remember, only one large item per household per week, item must be placed curbside next to your trash and recyclables by 7 am on your day of collection. If your stickered item is ever left behind by Waste Management's trash truck please report it at: 800-972-4545.
The Transfer Station now accepts standard Auto batteries for recycling with a $10 sticker pre-purchased from the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall. Please see the attendant on arrival at the Transfer Station.
Please note AAA, AA, C, D etc type small regular batteries are not recyclable and should be put in your orange trash bags.
For power outage updates or to report downed trees in wires, please call National Grid directly: 1-800-322-3223 or on your mobile device at: www.ngrid.com/mobile or text: STORM to 64743 or online at www.nationalgridus.com/outagecentral
Waste Management Calendar
The DPW would like to apologize for any confusion caused by the Waste Management Calendar that was recently mailed to all Manchester residents. The street listing collection schedule contained mistakes. Collection days have NOT changed.
SCAM ALERT! Many companies claim their plastic bags are compostable. Bags must say "ASTM 6400 certified" to be compostable. Biodegradable is not compostable. An alternative is to use double-bagged paper grocery bags.
The Public Works Department’s provides and maintains public services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Manchester-by-the-Sea.
The Department is comprised of the following divisions:
- Where can I find the 2018 Collection Calendar?
- Where can I get an update on the various DPW projects happening around town?
- What if my trash, recyclables or large item with green sticker was not collected?
- What if my food waste was not collected?
- When is the compost site open?
- When is the transfer station open?
- How do I dispose of a large item like a mattress, boxspring, chair, etc.?
- How do I dispose of televisions, laptops and computer monitors?
- How do I dispose of freezers, refrigerators and air-conditioners?
- What can I do with rechargeable and button batteries and fluorescent bulbs?
- How do I dispose of construction waste?
- What do I do with tires and auto batteries?
- When is the next hazardous waste disposal day in Manchester?
- How do I get information about cemeteries, including pricing?
- How do I sign up for text and/or email alerts on my phone and/or computer?
- I have water and/or sewer questions...
- I have a question about a Town-owned tree...