NEW COMPOST SITE HOURS:
Thursday, Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 3pm
Please note: even if the chain is down, the site is only open to residents when the OPEN sign is on display. Please click Yard Compost tab on the lower left for detailed information.
The Public Works Department’s mission is to provide and maintain public services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Manchester-by-the-Sea.
The Department of Public Works staff consists of 17 employees responsible for Manchester’s infrastructure and public facilities. The various functions provided by the Department include Administration, Engineering, Machinery Maintenance, Roads and Streets, Storm Drainage, Solid Waste and Recycling, Compost, Water Distribution, Water Treatment, Sewer Collection System, Sewage Treatment, Snow and Ice Removal, and Tree Care (in conjunction with a volunteer Tree Warden).
The Public Works Administration is responsible for providing continuous coordination between all divisions within the Department through effective leadership in order to ensure that all functions of the Department are carried out completely and efficiently. The Administration consists of the Director of Public Works, the Department Administrative Assistant, and Water and Sewer Accounts Administrator.
The specific functions of this office include:
- Preparation of the annual operating and capital budget for the Department and overseeing expenditures of all divisions.
- Providing clerical and accounting support to the Department for the processing of payrolls, purchase orders, accounts payable, water/sewer quarterly billing and the management of the Department’s budget.
- Developing and updating the Department’s long term Capital Plan for all divisions.
- Supervising Department personnel.
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations relative to Public Works and Water/Sewer operations.
- Receiving inquiries and recording complaints from citizens relative to the Public Works infrastructure and forwarding to the appropriate Division for action.
- Interfacing with Town Boards, Commissions, consulting engineers and other Departments as well as providing coordination with State and Federal Agencies and other municipalities, and outside utilities relative to Public Works projects.
- Prepare specifications, bid material and service contracts. Oversee contracts and administers public construction projects.