Department of Public Works
COMPOST SITE: Please note that even if the chain is down, the compost site is now CLOSED FOR THE SEASON.
For power outage updates or to report downed trees in wires, please call National Grid directly: 1-800-322-3223 or on your mobile device at: www.ngrid.com/mobile or text: STORM to 64743 or online at www.nationalgridus.com/outagecentral
Waste Management Calendar
The DPW would like to apologize for any confusion caused by the Waste Management Calendar that was recently mailed to all Manchester residents. The street listing collection schedule contained mistakes. Collection days have NOT changed.
SCAM ALERT! Many companies claim their plastic bags are compostable. Bags must say "ASTM 6400 certified" to be compostable. Biodegradable is not compostable. An alternative is to use double-bagged paper grocery bags.
The Public Works Department’s provides and maintains public services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Manchester-by-the-Sea.
The Department is comprised of the following divisions:
- Where can I find the 2018 Collection Calendar?
- Where can I get an update on the various DPW projects happening around town?
- What if my trash, recyclables or large item with green sticker was not collected?
- What if my food waste was not collected?
- When is the compost site open?
- When is the transfer station open?
- How do I dispose of a large item like a mattress, boxspring, chair, etc.?
- How do I dispose of televisions, laptops and computer monitors?
- How do I dispose of freezers, refrigerators and air-conditioners?
- What can I do with rechargeable and button batteries and fluorescent bulbs?
- How do I dispose of construction waste?
- What do I do with tires and auto/boat batteries?
- When is the next hazardous waste disposal day in Manchester?
- How do I get information about cemeteries, including pricing?
- How do I sign up for text and/or email alerts on my phone and/or computer?
- I have water and/or sewer questions...
- I have a question about a Town-owned tree...