The Town Clerk has several major responsibilities including:
- Chief Election Official - supervises voter registration and elections
- Receipt and maintenance of official municipal and public records
- Serves as Registrar of Vital Statistics
- Parking Clerk - processes all parking tickets and hears all parking ticket appeals
- Administration of Annual Town Census
- Issuance of Dog Licenses
- Issuance of Beach and Resident Parking Stickers
- Issuance of Business Certificates and Raffle Permits
2018 Nomination Papers for local office are available NOW!
The Town of Manchester-by-the-Sea is actively seeking participants who would like to run for local office! The following offices will be featured on the 2018 Local Election ballot:
Housing Authority (5 year term)
Library Trustee (3 year term)
Moderator (1 year Term)
Planning Board (two 3 year terms and one 2 year term)
School Committee (2 year term)
Board of Selectmen (3 year term)
In order to appear on a Town Election Ballot one must be nominated by twenty-six voters registered in the Town of Manchester. The registered voters must complete their signature and address fields on the nomination papers.
Nomination papers are available in the Office of the Town Clerk Monday through Wednesday from 8:30am-5pm and also on Thursdays from 8:30am-6:30pm. Only the candidate petitioning for nomination or a person presenting a signed authorization from an interested candidate may pick up the blank nomination forms.
The completed nomination papers are then due to the Board of Registrars no later than 5pm on March 27, 2018 for certification. The Board of Registrars ensures that all signers are indeed registered voters in the Town of Essex. The Annual Town Election will be held on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at the Memorial School Elementary School Gymnasium from 7am-8pm.