Stormwater Management Program
The Town of Manchester-by-the-Sea has a municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) for catching and conveying stormwater runoff from rainwater, snow and ice melt from pavement and other surfaces. The runoff discharges directly to local streams, rivers and other water bodies. This MS4 system and the stormwater that enters it is regulated under the Clean Water Act, specifically the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). The Town’s NPDES MS4 permit is administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
The Town’s Stormwater Management Program is in place to meet permit requirements and prevent harmful pollutants from being washed or dumped into the MS4. Measures include public education and outreach, public involvement and participation, illicit discharge detection and elimination, construction site stormwater runoff control, post-construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment, pollution prevention, and good housekeeping in municipal operations. The Town has drafted a comprehensive written Stormwater Management Plan, which may be downloaded for review or a paper copy may be obtained from the Department of Public Works.
Residents, businesses, developers and other member of the public are encouraged to review our efforts and the Stormwater Management Plan and provide any input or recommendations to the Town.
Stormwater Management Materials
- MTBS SWMP_ SEPT 2020 update with appendices
- Appendix I. Notice of Intent and Authorization to Discharge Letter
- Appendix II. Endangered Species Act Eligibility Criteria Documents
- Appendix III. Historic Properties Eligibility Criteria Documents
- Appendix IV. Summaries of Water Pollution Reporting Criteria
- Appendix IX. Illicit Discharge Detection Elimination (IDDE) Plan
- Appendix V. Pollutants of Concern
- Appendix VI. Plan Amendment Log
- Appendix VII. Definitions, Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Appendix VIII. Public Education, Outreach and Involvement Plan