- Boards & Committees H-Z
- Planning Board
To learn about upcoming zoning changes please click here.
2nd and 4th Mondays at 6:30 PM (Hybrid - Zoom and Town Hall Room #5)
Agendas, Meeting Materials, and Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings; meeting minutes are posted after approval. View Agendas and Minutes, Meeting Packets
The Planning Board is established under the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 41, Section 81A. The purpose of the Planning Board is to guide the development of the Town in the best interests of all of its residents.
10 Central Street
Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA 01944
Gail HunterAdministrative AssistantPhone: 978-525-6405
Please direct all correspondence regarding an application or anything to be shared with the Planning Board to Gail Hunter.
In its role of guiding the development of the Town, the Planning Board has two primary responsibilities:
Conduct studies and plans of the resources and needs of the town.
The Town's 2019 Comprehensive Master Plan serves as a guide for the Town as it manages and improves existing assets, preserves character and natural resources, and directs future growth. The Plan informs our priorities for how the Town spends taxpayer money to provide for facilities, services, and support for our community. The Master Plan will be integrated into the decision-making process to ensure all policy, project and budgeting decisions align with the priorities identified by the community.
The 2019 Master Plan’s Guiding Principles are the product of community input provided by over two years of public meetings, working groups, forums and surveys.
- Responsibly balance the cost of necessary infrastructure and facilities improvements and maintenance and the provision of desired services with funding sources that exist or can be developed.
- Preserve Manchester’s small-town character and natural environment by recommending growth of a size, type and density compatible with the community and only in areas determined to be appropriate.
- Focus on change that will strengthen the local economy, improve community health, and increase inclusivity, resiliency, sense of place and community spirit.
- Support citizens of all ages and life stages by encouraging safe, assessable and appropriate housing, transportation and mobility choices, and other public and private services.
Consider land use and the layout and functioning of the public ways as they affect public health and safety.
The Board hears applications relating to the use and division of land which fall into five general categories:
- Approval Not Required (ANR) – the endorsement of a lot conforming to specific requirements.
- Subdivision – the division of land into two or more lots, subject to specific Subdivision Rules and Regulations.
- Special Permit – required by law for a change of use or for a use not allowed by right in a certain district (zone) or in an overlay of that zone.
- Site Plan – required for a significant expansion or change of use of a property.
- Opinions – Planning Board opinion may be requested by other boards on matters before them.
The Planning Board is also responsible for drafting zoning bylaws and revisions; Curb Cut Approvals; Storm Water Management (MS4); Scenic Roads and other diverse roles.
- Town Planner Update January 2020
- Town Planner Update February 2020
- Town Planner Update March 2020
- Town Planner Update April 2020
- Town Planner Update May 2020
- Town Planner Update July 2020
- Town Planner Update August 2020
- Town Planner Update September 2020
- Town Planner Update November 2020
- Town Planner Update December 2020
- Town Planner Update February 2019
- Town Planner Update March 2019
- Town Planner Update April 2019
- Town Planner Update May 2019
- Town Planner Update June 2019
- Town Planner Update July 2019
- Town Planner Update August 2019
- Town Planner Update September 2019
- Town Planner Update October 2019
- Town Planner Update November 2019
- Town Planner Update December 2019
2018 and Earlier
- Town Planner Update June 2018
- Town Planner Update June 2016
- Town Planner Update April 2016
- Town Planner Update February 2015
- Town Planner Update March 2015
- Town Planner Update April 2015
- Town Planner Update May 2015
- Town Planner Update June 2015
- Town Planner Update July 2015
- Town Planner Update November 2014